What To Do If Injured Working for the Bureau of Land Management?

If you are injured while working for the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), you should:

  • Seek medical attention immediately. This is the most important step, as your health and safety should be your top priority.
  • Report the federal workers compensation injury to your supervisor as soon as possible. This will help the BLM to begin the process of investigating the accident and providing you with the necessary support.
  • File a Federal Employees’ Compensation Act (FECA) claim. FECA is a federal program that provides workers’ compensation benefits to federal employees who are injured or become ill on the job. You can file a FECA claim online or by contacting the nearest U.S. Department of Labor Office of Workers’
  • Compensation Programs (OWCP) office.
  • Keep a record of all medical expenses and lost wages related to your injury. This documentation will be helpful in supporting your FECA claim.
  • Seek legal advice if you have any questions or concerns about your FECA claim or your rights as an injured federal employee.

Here are some additional tips for filing a FECA claim:

  • Be sure to file your claim within three years of the date of your injury or illness.
  • Provide as much detail as possible about your injury or illness, including the date, time, and location of the accident or event that caused it.
  • Describe the symptoms you are experiencing and any medical treatment you have received.
  • Include a copy of your medical records with your OWCP claim.
  • Provide the names and contact information of any witnesses to your accident or injury.

If you have any questions or concerns about filing a FECA claim, you can contact the OWCP at 1-800-WORKERS (1-800-967-5377) or online at https://www.dol.gov/owcp/.